This is at least a step in the right direction. Nice to hear that some of the Abs are actually taking our comments and concerns back and doing something about them.

John Garside
Exams Coordinator
Stourbridge College

Sent: 22 March 2013 15:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: AOC Conference

Edexcel have published a list of responses to some of the questions raised at the AoC Conference which can be accessed here:

http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/exams-officer/Documents/AOC-Conference-2013.pdf

Duncan

>>> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> 2/8/2013 3:34 pm >>>
Another couple of things:

  1.  C&G are going to take the latest upgrade from BTL for e-volve and are developing an improved reporting service for the results to include more information on what the candidates got wrong, a facility to see how the candidate has done across a range of tests, and improved searching. As with last year they are promising that it will soon work with screen readers.
  2.  Another issue raised in the Sixth Form College session was the difficulties with Oral Modifiers and modified papers. AQA appears to be reducing the options available for modified papers and assuming that we will modify the papers ourselves or facilitate the candidate with technology solutions such as screen readers.
  3.  VTCT were promoting their Catering and Hospitality products that they launched last year - an interesting alternative to C&G who I find problematic at present and it would put the whole of an area under one manager with the same awarding body.
  4.  AoC have allowed me to publicise this forum via their Email contacts so hopefully we will get some more members.
Have a good weekend one and all.

Regards

Duncan

Duncan Buck
Exams Co-ordinator
Herefordshire College of Technology
DDI: 01432 365315
Int: x315
Group Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Please remind students that NO Mobile Phones, iPods, MP3/4 players, or any device with electronic storage are to be taken into examination rooms, and that Photo ID has to be shown for all examinations

>>> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> 08/02/2013 13:29 >>>
Hi All

You were greatly missed.

A few snippets in no order of importance.

  *   Michael Turner (head honcho of JCQ) made the mistake of telling the conference how wonderful everything is and how good they are to us. He then got both barrels from the floor about centre inspections, access arrangements and their generally unhelpful attitude towards us. The AoC chair did not spring to his defence and he has promised to review the issues raised.
  *   A2C now has a proper IT manager in charge. Reading between the lines he has inherited a bag of problems which he is trying to whip into shape, but is still encountering problems. As in previous years it is jam (flavour unspecified, it may not be one that we would have chosen) and the dates have slipped again. The key bits of information are that six of the seven JCQ boards are committed to making it work (the Scots have left), and that the standard will be open source so unlike EDI which is copywrite to JCQ the standard can be adopted by the other boards.
  *   Edexcel's on-demand Funky Skills ICT has gone live without any publicity. They are going to increase the length of time before the exam that you can download files. They are releasing a new "bulk" facility on Edexcelonline in March to allow us to enter BTEC results - very similar to how Walled-Garden allows us to do the same thing with C&G so better than the current version of Edexcelonline where you do it individually but not as good as EDI. They are also developing a replacement to Promissor for Functional Skills onscreen tests which should be a lot easier to maintain, but it may not be live for a year.
  *   John Perks from the Information Authority was an excellent speaker. There is at last a value to us of the ULN - from next month ACE will be using it to automatically accept qualifications so we will not have to upload evidence in future for all qualifications! He explained the new ILR requirements for 13/14 which looks an improvement over the current year - less data to upload. As a group we analysed the A2C and the conclusion was that it may be of some benefit to us in the long term but that it is currently being used as an excuse by ERM providers and awarding bodies to delay projects and there will be a hump to overcome with the transition.
  *   Alan Waymont hosted a good series of discussions over the issues that we are all having with JCQ. As usual Mr Black (?), Mr Hemmings and Mr Waymont had a lot to say but others made excellent points. Alan is campaigning over various issues and is going to post a proforma letter on here for us to get our Principals / Head of Centres to send to the AoC to support it.
  *   We sat down for dinner this year!
Regards

Duncan

Duncan Buck
Exams Co-ordinator
Herefordshire College of Technology
DDI: 01432 365315
Int: x315
Group Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Please remind students that NO Mobile Phones, iPods, MP3/4 players, or any device with electronic storage are to be taken into examination rooms, and that Photo ID has to be shown for all examinations

>>> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> 08/02/2013 12:46 >>>
We were unfortunately unable to be represented at this years conference.

Are there any helpful snippets of information that any attendees can share with us?

This email and any content are confidential and intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Herefordshire College of Technology.

Herefordshire College of Technology. Folly Lane, Hereford.
http://www.hct.ac.uk/News/info_event.html

Information Event Dates
This email has been scanned by the iCritical Email Security.cloud service.
For more information please visit http://www.icritical.com/