From: Amy Price <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Comprehensive Cohort Design/patient preference trial as alternative to the randomized controlled trial and online informed consent
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear all,

1)  We are using Public led  trials as a form of interactive patient education citizen science  so these will be interventions that will be safe for the public to do for themselves. We are considering using a Comprehensive Cohort Design/patient preference trial as alternative to the randomized controlled trial.

The advantages are possible better compliance,  (a concern because attrition in an online platform is about 65-85%) choose randomization offers more opportunities for teaching, less concern about cross over as the public has chosen the randomization and the ones that have no preference will be randomized so it is essentially a 4 arm trial. Some of the papers say there is less opportunity for bias, others say there is more. To resolve this we can analyze the groups individually as well as show the total results. One difficulty a paper mentioned was that should the results be accepted for publication and be biased this would hurt science and medicine. I think this is overstated because we are using PROMS it would be more hypothesis generating for a lab controlled study than the final word so to speak. If you have any thoughts, see more advantages/disadvantages  or have come across great papers on this please share, I am looking at this theoretically and am open to how this turns out in practice or what you see with the eyes of experience.

2) My second problem to solve is that of online informed consent.  Most people will just click the agree button for an online consent, me included I could have sold my organs and given my husband and children into slavery and I would never know. I would define the button as 'consent' but not informed and ethical  practice requires both.  They will be coming in too fast to hold only Webinairs  with Q and A although we will make this available and use other medium. Does anyone have a good idea for solving this. We are considering an  interactive process, unfortunately I can't find good literature on this  except for a couple of patents and phase 2 FDA trials on this. I also need to know how far people read down before clicking I agree.

I will be certain to give full credit for any help. This group is such a wonderful resource and often I learn much from answers arguments and ideas communicated within the group. Thanks for being hereā€¦.

Best regards,
Amy Price