I used a Quick Read, The Great Fire of London, with a group of consolidating and established E1b learners last term and they loved it - particularly when I could demonstrate that in all essentials it was accurate  We did a chapter (2 pages of comic strip) per session over an hour, including vocab, discussions,and additional activities, and read it over - I think - six or seven weeks.
I got it from the college library and it has a tape that goes with it, so it's a listening as well as a reading exercise, and learners can also read it round the class to practice reading, pronunciation and stress.  You might even be able to rope it in for citizenship as it's about British history!.  All written in present simple and a fair number of activities after each short chapter plus there's masses online to do extension activities with, including some school's weather forecast for the fire!  All the quick reads at that same level should be suitable - there are also  a few which are for emerging readers.
I also got all learners in the class to commit to taking out a book a week from the library and in pretty short order discovered that some established E1 learners (European, rather than non-Roman script learners) were taking out E2 and even E3 level books because they got so interested, and were coming back with intelligent questions about grammar and vocabulary.  Also one emerging reader with native language low literacy has made significant strides in reading and writing since then.

best wishes
Allegra