*** If you have an interest in geoenvironmental engineering, please read on
***

Dear colleagues,

I wanted to invite you to review the class projects on "Geoenvironmental
Remediation" that were prepared by University of Michigan students who are
taking this semester the graduate-level CEE 549 course in "Geoenvironmental
Engineering". The class projects are available here:
http://www.geoengineer.org/education/web-based-class-projects/geoenvironment
al-remediation-technologies . Scroll down to see the list of projects and
click on the topic of your interest. Once you have selected the project, you
can review the table of contents for that project at the right side of your
screen. If you click "See entire project" you will view their entire report
as one document, instead of each section of their report separately.

The idea is the following: Instead of having students prepare a class
project report to me (the instructor), students (one geotechnical, one
environmental) worked in pairs and prepared a project on the internet. I
will formally review this as part of my instructor duties, but this
deliverable can now also be reviewed and edited by research experts and
experienced professionals in each remediation technique worldwide! Each
project has an "Add a comment" box at the bottom that allows you to provide
comments.  If you provide any technical, editorial or other comments during
the next two weeks, i.e., by next Wednesday 3rd of April, students will be
required to respond to them and incorporate the necessary changes to their
project. They will then finalize their project and also create a video. The
web-based report and the video will remain online indefinitely providing
useful technical content for geoenvironmental professionals worldwide.

The motivation for this initiative is the research findings that students
are more motivated, find a class more appealing, and learn better when class
projects have an impact beyond the classroom and are viewed by more
individuals than the instructor. I am also planning to objectively assess
that from a student learning perspective.

I am sure students will be excited to have lots of viewers of their
projects, as well as comments, so I wanted to encourage you to participate.

Also, for your information, the web-based platform that was used was
developed by Geoengineer.org with partial funding from the ASCE
Geo-Institute http://www.geoengineer.org/education/web-based-class-projects
. If you have an interest in using at no cost this platform as part of your
classes, or if you also have any additional feedback for future improvements
of the platform, please contact me. This is the first time we use the
platform and I attempt this as an instructor. I feel like I am opening my
classroom to the world and so all that is exciting for me and the students.

Also, please forward this e-mail to any colleagues that you think may be
interested in participating, particularly professionals.

Best,

Dimitrios

__________________________

Dimitrios Zekkos, Ph.D., P.E.

Assistant Professor

Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, USA

http://www.umich.edu/~geotech/

Geoengineer.org, The International Information Center for Geoprofessionals

http://www.geoengineer.org <http://www.geoengineer.org/>

International Journal of Geoengineering Case Histories

Official Journal of the International Society for Soil Mechanics and
Geotechnical Engineering

http://casehistories.geoengineer.org <http://casehistories.geoengineer.org/>

Geoworld- Professional Networking for Geotechnical Engineers

http://www.mygeoworld.info/pg/profile/zekkos