From: The Disability-Research Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of m.hersh
Sent: 08 March 2013 10:24
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: research ethics and participation

My first degree and my initial research were in maths.  I changed, partly because I was not quite good enough as a mathematician and partly because I wanted something more immediately relevant.  Pure maths is relevant and at the basis of all sorts of things, but its applications take longer to come through.

Having thought about it, the ideal ethical review process would be by the relevant group of disabled people from an organisation of disabled people, in this case autistic women from an organisation of autistic people.  In the case of research with people with learning difficulties, I think it is people with learning difficulties from an organisation and supported by advocates and assistants/support people of their own choosing who should be doing the ethical review, not other people making decisions about their capacity.

In terms of the social model the issue is professionals etc not being able to provide information in an appropriate format and interact with people with learning difficulties in order to get consent, not their inability to give it.   Obviously there are groups for which it is very difficult to set up good procedures to get informed consent, but who may still want to be involved in research and then things become more difficult and may take a lot longer.  There is a difference between legality and ethics.  Following the Mental Health Capacity Act presumably ensures behaviour within the law, but is not necessarily ethical or how people 'protected' by the act necessarily want to be treated.

I have been told that I need to go through NHS Ethics, which I think is to do with the labelling of disabled people.  We are automatically 'vulnerable' and 'patients'.  I have tried to argue against this, but am not getting anywhere.  I will however assume unless told otherwise that it is sufficient to go through NHS Ethics and I do not need to go through university procedures as well.

Ethical procedures tend to just consider research involving people (and animals to a limited, but unsatisfactory extent) and not ethical procedures and practices of other types of research.  They also ignore the ethics of the nature of the research e.g. military work.  They often ignore the real ethical issues and going through ethical procedures is no guarantee researchers act ethically in practice.  I am not suggesting ongoing oversight of work my university committees, but ongoing oversight by the relevant organisation of disabled people might be a good idea.
Marion

web page.