DSM V and the diagnosis of a SpLD is including (or intends to include) a clause relating to 'Response to Intervention' (RTI). In other words, diagnostic criteria remain similar although there should be a history of interventions relating to difficulties and what, if any, was the progress. I don't think this is anything particularly new to our education here in the UK. The SEN Code of Practice (2001) highlights a 'staged' approach to supporting a child at school. Therefore, 'good practise' within schools should normally mean that a student I assess at university could describe what support was provided to them through their schooling. However, quite often,  SpLD may begin to reveal itself as the academic demands increase or in some cases, the student's needs were just not identified at school. Hence DSM V could create a diagnostic problem for some students. It is relatively uncommon for a student to tell me that they never experienced difficulties at school, but it does happen. I do hear from several students that they experienced difficulties at school but did not receive support!  If I were to use DSM V in diagnosing a SpLD, this could cause a potential issue. I am following literature to establish whether DSM becomes the 'bible' for diagnosing dyslexia or not. Potentially interesting times ahead...

Michael Lane
Educational Psychologist
www.Ridgeway.co
02476 697308
07967 734004

The information transmitted in this email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of, any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Any opinions or advice contained in this email are not necessarily those of the sender. Although this email and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus, or any other defect which might affect any computer or IT system into which they are received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free and no responsibility is accepted by the sender for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use thereof. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.