I suppose it depends on whether the student can still study at home, or at least not at university, or whether she is too weak from the surgery to continue with her work.

If she plans to carry on researching, producing assignments, etc. then I think she has a case - do you use any sort of lecture capture system where she can watch the lectures from? If she thinks she'll be well enough to do everything bar come in to lectures and seminars then she may well be able to complete the year.

On the other hand, if her rehabilitation means complete rest and refraining from study then I would say that it would be in the student's interests to interrupt, as the strain of trying to keep up might affect her health.

Simon