Hi Penny

Thanks for that thoughtful and measured response. It's true that my post
was written mainly in anger, and of course I agree that we should take
up IAC's challenge in respect of the activities and concerns listed.

But I do think we need to be more vigilant about accepting such terms at
face value. The 'Big Society' was invented by cynical politicians which
means in reality the opposite of what they are held to mean (the
government's target is of course the big (ie, big-spending welfare)
state. I think the appropriate term is News speak.

It is not just the public sector which has been the target for cuts and
political vitriol; the voluntary sector has not escaped either. We may
need vigilance of our own in relation to the onslaught on public
spending yet to come.

Best wishes

Roddy

PS - I do apologise for being unable to attend the 'Working with
Perceptual Difference' event on Wednesday: I am (as ever) trying to
catch up on a backlog of work.

--
Roddy Slorach
Disability Adviser