Please don't forget to book your place before March 14th for this very
popular afternoon meeting.

*The power of social media to support knowledge sharing * on Tuesday 19th
March 2013, 14.00 -- 18.00, at the British Dental Association, 64 Wimpole
Street, London, W1G 8YS.

In most organizations there is a desire to develop more effective knowledge
sharing and a culture of collaboration, but little recognition of what this
means in terms of staff development and overcoming barriers to change. The
enormous growth of social media tools and social/professional networks over
the past few years has created new opportunities and new challenges for
people and organizations that want to embrace this dynamic world of social
interaction and fluid knowledge flows. However, it is not widely recognized
that collaboration and knowledge sharing are skills and practices that
rarely get taught.

Participation in social media is something we may learn on the job in a hit
or miss fashion. Some people are natural at it. Others struggle to
understand it. At the next ISKO UK afternoon meeting "The power of social
media to support knowledge sharing", the first session explores social media
tools and social networks, and their context for peer engagement and
knowledge sharing, and the Internet as an evolving ecology. Speakers are
David Briggs of Kind of Digital, and Richard Hare of Flare Consulting, then
in the second session, Steve Dale of Colabor8now and Virginia Henry of UnLtd
<http://unltd.org.uk/> (The Foundation for Social

Entrepreneurs) will describe new roles and skills, and overcoming barriers
to knowledge sharing and building a culture of trust. The afternoon will end
with a Panel Q&A session followed by wine and nibbles.

You will find the programme and other details of the event, and can register
until March 14th via the ISKO site
http://www.iskouk.org/events/social_networking_March2013.htm. The event is
*free* to ISKO members and to full-time students.

The fee for non-members is just *£40*. All fees must be paid in advance

- there is no provision for payment on arrival. Registration opens at

*1.30* and we shall start promptly at 2 p.m. Please pass this invitation on
to any colleagues who may be interested.

Our AGM precedes the meeting at 1pm; Members are urged to attend and
non-member observers are welcome.

ISKO is a not-for-profit scientific/professional association with the
objective of promoting research and communication in the domain of knowledge
organization, within the broad field of information science and related
disciplines. Founded in 2007, our UK Chapter has been attracting lively and
steadily growing audiences to its afternoon meeting series (see slides and
recordings at

http://www.iskouk.org/events.htm) as well as its very successful second
biennial conference (http://www.iskouk.org/conf2011/index.htm) last year.
Its third conference is planned for July 2013 on the general theme of
"Knowledge organization -- pushing the boundaries"

http://www.iskouk.org/conf2013/.

Hoping to see you there,

Anna Harvey

ISKO UK publicity