Dear Geographers,

I really enjoyed reading this article because it contains some geographical representations/concepts that are great to discuss with students:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21966209

Here are my observations (and maybe you like to add some):
1. The image of Kenya: not the scene where the violence took place (which is common when something similar happens in US), but a beach that looks peaceful and appealing.
2. The map: some parts of the area that is called "Coast" are actually far away from the ocean. What the map actually represents is Kenya's Coast Province and this name shows how flexible geographical concepts can be used.
3. The use of the word neo-colonialism by a Kenyan resistance organisation: this raises the question whether geographical research should focus more on power inqualities within formerly colonised countries, next to its valuable focus on power inequalities between former colonising and colonised countries (post-colonialism).

I made a "lecture friendly" pdf-file from the article (including images, as opposed to standard BBC 'printer friendly' file without images) and would be happy to send it to fellow geographers who would like to use it for teaching purposes as well.

Kind regards,
Leonhardt