You make a very good point here that there are already people in the world who live with almost nothing in certain countries.

This I also realised early on and found valuable answers to the sort of questioners that westerners might not usually think about, one example:

What do you do about infant hygiene? Answer – elimination communication.

I am not a typical westerner myself, though I cannot claim to have had a life as hard as those in some countries.

I’d also favour those sorts of people you mention over typical westerners (who frankly I have a rather low opinion of).

So what would I add to the experience and skills of such people as a plan for moving forwards?

Mobility. The ability to move to somewhere that will remain suitable for human inhabitation later*. As the decades unfold the face of the planet we knew is going to be massively changed. By the end of the century onwards it is uncertain how much of the surface will remain within limits for human survival. Settled communities as you describe may in many cases be destroyed by climatic processes despite surviving the initial breakdown of technologically advanced civilisation. As the seas rise, the deserts expand and the earth system throws various other things at us (some known about today, some surprises) and many areas that today cradle civilisation may become uninhabitable wasteland.

Marginal wastelands (today) may ultimately become areas capable of supporting a flourishing civilisation.

That is my thinking anyway – I am not just trying to think about the initial demands of survival – but about the future far beyond my lifetime (and I wish more people would do this).

Regards,

Douglas

*not to mention movement beyond conflict that is still likely to encompass these regions – excepting any poorly known about remote communities in regions that remain climatically viable and impossible for others to get to