While scripting up a keybinding to toggle fixed atoms (via mark_atom_as_fixed()), I discovered that closest_atom (and also active_residue) does not actually return the closest atom for an amino acid, but actually the CA.  This seems to be semi-hard coded in the definition in molecule-class-info.cc.  That function actually takes a bool ca_check_flag parameter, but the python and scheme wrappers just set the flag to True.

	    // Now, does this at belong to a residue that has a CA?  If
	    // it does, reset at_best to be the CA of the residue, but
	    // keep dist_best as it was, of course.

Was this a "recent" change?  I used to have a keybinding for deleting individual atoms, and would use it for deleting amide hydrogens while adding alternate conformations. (Necessary because of how phenix.refine handles alt-confs).  I'm using the fink installation on OS X, and recently updated it for the first time in possibly months. Version 0.7.1-pre Revision 4549.

Is there another way to do this, or some work around?  I suppose I could call residue_info and compare all the atom coordinates to rotation_centre().

Thanks,

Alexander D. Scouras
Postdoctoral Fellow
Alber Lab