Perhaps I was a bit gruff, but what I was trying to do was throw out a
voice of caution.  In crystallography, it is very tempting to
"normalize" everything by setting the mean to zero and the RMS
deviation to one, but this is a "linear transformation", and linear
transformations only work when the things you are comparing are
"linear".  True, everything is linear to a first-order approximation,
and you may well be "okay" comparing B factors between two crystals
that are "not all that different" in average B, but the assumption of
"linearity" with something fundamentally non-linear like B factors
will break down at some point.  I'm not really sure where, but I would
suspect that "normalizing" B factors from a 5 A structure to those of
a 2.0 A structure might be "ill advised".

My opinion is that multiplying and dividing B factors makes no
physical sense.  If you must "normalize" something, I'd suggest
normalizing the "half-occupancy volume" (proportional to sqrt(B)^3),
or the width of the half-occupancy volume (proportional to sqrt(B)).
If you want to try to make a leap to "entropy", then if you assume the
half-occupancy volume contains an ideal gas, then the entropy should
be proportional to log(B).  But B itself is proportional to the
surface area of the half-occupancy volume, and I can't think of too
many physical-chemical properties that would be "proportional" to
that.

Nevertheless, purely on theory, I predict you will much more easily
hit "pitfalls" (or quicksand) by trying to normalize "B" directly
instead of first converting it into something more tangible (like a
volume).

That's all I'm sayin'

-James Holton
MAD Scientist