I would use a low affinity metal ion binding buffer like MOPS, HEPES, or
MES. The "Good" buffers all have fairly low metal-ion affinity.
Phosphates will be problematic because of magnesium phosphate formation.

Cheers,

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor