Sivaraj Ramesechan was outlining the physics of multiple wavelength anom scattering in the 1960s as a method for solving insulin.
It was purely theoretical then; no instruments to make the measurements..
Eleanor

On 13 Mar 2013, at 17:19, Peter Moody wrote:

When I started my PhD (in 1980!) at Imperial, David Blow already had a PhD student who's project was to use the new Daresbury synchrotron to exploit anomalous differences. Unfortunately it didn't  come on line in time for him to actually get the data he needed.
I'd be intrigued to know who got the first structure from Daresbury. I don't remember feeling there was a race at the time, but then we were a lot less competitive in those days!
Peter

On 13 March 2013 16:21, Colin Nave <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Yes, this is a key paper demonstrating the possibilities.

The answer to the question of first structure solved is a bit more difficult. Much of the early use of synchrotrons was for collecting high resolution data for refinement to supplement data collected on lab sources. This included data from similar structures with more or less sequence identity as well as data from heavy atom derivatives. MAD structures appeared somewhat later (see the references in Proc. Nati. Acad. Sci. USA Vol. 86, pp. 2190-2194, April 1989 for some early examples).

Of course John Helliwell's book (Macromolecular Crystallography with Synchrotron Radiation, chapter 10) gives a useful historical introduction.

Other than the above, if anyone has a claim to first structure solved just with synchrotron radiation then they should speak up!

Colin

-----Original Message-----
From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Harry Powell
Sent: 13 March 2013 15:04
To: ccp4bb
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] first use of synchrotron radiation in PX

Hi

Not sure if this is strictly speaking the first protein *solved* on a synchrotron, but I think this is the first report of shooting protein crystals at a synchrotron in the widely available literature -

        http://www.pnas.org/content/73/1/128.full.pdf+html

        Phillips J C, Wlodawer A, Yevitz M M and Hodgson K 0 1976 Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 73 128-32

        Applications of synchrotron radiation to protein crystallography: Preliminary results

On 13 Mar 2013, at 14:38, Alan Cheung wrote:

> Hi all - i'm sure this many will know this : when and what was the first protein structure solved on a synchrotron?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Alan
>

> --
> Alan Cheung
> Gene Center
> Ludwig-Maximilians-University
> Feodor-Lynen-Str. 25
> 81377 Munich
> Germany
> Phone:  +49-89-2180-76845
> Fax:  +49-89-2180-76999
> E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Harry
--
Dr Harry Powell, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Francis Crick Avenue, Cambridge Biomedical Campus, Cambridge CB2 0QH Chairman of European Crystallographic Association SIG9 (Crystallographic Computing)