I'm using gcc 4.7.2 (latest stable version I think).  I don't get the
compilation error of the FORMAT statement but I do get the segfault error
on running with the '-malign-double' switch that I reported.  So it would
appear that even the current stable version is buggy!  As Jon said the
workaround is to leave off '-malign-double': it has very little effect on
performance anyway.  Or use ifort (main reason I use it is past bugs in Gnu
compilers).

Cheers

-- Ian