Fred

The relevant bit of code, with the FORMAT statement closed with a ')' and
an END statement added to make it a viable program, is:

      WRITE (*,10)
      END

For me this compiles and runs without error using gfortran (gcc version
4.7.2).  Maybe you have an old version of gfortran with bugs.  Note that a
statement with continuation lines containing errors usually generates an
error message which specifies only the first line of the statement.  What's
in the rest of the FORMAT statement?

-- Ian