THE COMMUNIST HORIZON

By Jodi Dean

-----------------------------------

Jodi Dean will be discussing THE COMMUNIST HORIZON at Goldsmiths University, London, on the 19th of March. Further information below.

-----------------------------------

In this new title in Verso’s Pocket Communism series, Jodi Dean unshackles the communist ideal from the failures of the Soviet Union. In an age when the malfeasance of international banking has alerted exploited populations the world over to the unsustainability of an economic system predicated on perpetual growth, it is time the left ended its melancholic accommodation with capitalism.

In the new capitalism of networked information technologies, our very ability to communicate is exploited, but revolution is still possible if we organize on the basis of our common and collective desires. Examining the experience of the Occupy movement, Dean argues that such spontaneity can’t develop into a revolution and it needs to constitute itself as a party.

An innovative work of pressing relevance, THE COMMUNIST HORIZON offers nothing less than a manifesto for a new collective politics.

-----------------------------------

“This is what everyone engaged in today’s struggles for emancipation needs: a unique combination of theoretical stringency and a realistic assessment of our predicament. To anyone who continues to dwell in illusions about liberal democracy, one should simply say: read Jodi Dean’s new book!” – Slavoj Žižek

“Jodi’s sharp analysis of the impasses of the left is also a kind of requiem for much of the 2.0 bluster of the last decade.” – Mark Fisher, author of CAPITALIST REALISM

A talk with the author:

March 19, 2013, 7pm, Goldsmiths University, London

Jodi Dean will introduce the book with time for questions and answers from the audience. The talk will be followed by a wine reception and book signing. For the full details please visit:

http://www.versobooks.com/events/624-the-communist-horizon-talk-with-author-jodi-dean

ISBN: 9781844679546 / $19.95 / Ł12.99 / $21.00CAN/ 256 pages

For more information or to buy the book visit:

http://www.versobooks.com/books/1151-the-communist-horizon