Darwish was not only a fine writer but had themes and modes within his
grasp which we can only envy. He could actually speak for a people,
and with all the richness of figuration of a classical tradition
expressed as a modernity. The lamentation mode, which is common among
older poets over here too, is never just personal. Some fine prose
too, especially his diary through the Israeli bombing.

Another great Palestinian poet is the one who calls himself "Adonis".
Rather more contemporary in relation to French poetry.  There are many
more, quite commonly translated into French but the above two are
readily available in English.

It's a different kind of category of course, because "Palestinian" is
a nationality" while "Jewish" is an ethnicity, or should be. While all
that listing was going on I couldn't help thinking that maybe some "UK
Jewish poets" would rather not be set aside as a separate class, but
would rather just be "UK poets".

PR