[apologies for cross-posting]

Hi,

Below you will find details of our latest event, ‘e-Assessment: A Question
of Design’, where we are asking development teams to author a series of
prescribed questions on their chosen assessment platforms. We’ll be
comparing the approaches that each team takes and running a series of
sessions that examine question design, collaboration, feedback and
accessibility.

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who would be willing in to
take on the challenge of trying to deliver these assessment tasks
<http://www.soffed.co.uk/images/10QS.pdf>  via the tools in Blackboard.
We’re inviting teams who will develop the questions on a range of platforms
and then compare approaches to see if we can learn something about how the
technology can be applied. It would also be interesting to see how well
Moodle copes with some of the more challenging assessment tasks. All of the
questions have been sourced from previous enquiries about how to render
similar questions online – it’s the kind of thing your own lecturers,
tutors, and teachers might approach you with when they want to use the VLE
for assessment.

Anyway, take a look at the questions, and if you’re free on the 22nd, we
would love to see you at the event – and if you’re not presenting your
solutions on the day, we would be delighted to see you there as a regular
delegate!

More details on the event can be found below:

The e-Assessment Association (eAA), a national body which exists to promote
the use of e-assessment in education, has prepared an exciting series of
events that is taking place across all regions of the UK. The next such
regional event, in partnership with Aberystwyth University is on the 23rd of
November.

AberBanner.jpg

Monday 22nd April, 2013

Time:

10:15am - 4:15pm

Venue:

Aberystwyth University MedRus Conference Centre, Penglais Campus (directions
<http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/maps-travel/> )

Places:

50 (strictly limited)

Cost:

£35

Programme:

TBA

Quizzes, questions, exams and assignments: as anyone who has ever written
material designed to probe the intellectual soul of their fellow man can
tell you, the hardest task of all may be setting a good question. And even
after the perfect question has been set, it can feel as if your marking
criteria and feedback have been chiselled from solid rock. Chip by painful
chip. Even the clearest, most unambiguous question can fall apart into a
thousand slivers of alternative meaning when parsed by the energetic student
brain.

Now, when it became possible to put the ‘e’ before assessment you would
think that technology could only ameliorate the situation. After all, the
current cornucopia of current digital tools enables us to accumulate so much
more data than we did before, allowing candidates to provide evidence in
innumerable new forms and media.

However, the reality is that the technology can offer us a bewildering
smorgasbord of options. As e-assessment remains a relatively new field,
albeit one with great potential, many of the best recipes for deployment are
still refining their ingredients. This event gives you the opportunity to
extend your vision of what’s possible, seeing how a challenging range of
assessment tasks can be realised on common and current e-Assessment
platforms. We will also be running a series of sessions on question design,
incorporating collaboration, feedback and accessibility.

Get Involved

As part of the day, we are inviting a select number of teams to demonstrate
how they would implement 10 assessment tasks on their chosen assessment
platform. You can download a copy of the 10 questions which the teams have
to author <http://www.soffed.co.uk/images/10QS.pdf> .

If you are interested in being involved, please contact Kenji Lamb
([log in to unmask]) for further details and a copy of the assessment tasks.

Programme

09:30

Registration (with refreshments)

10:15

Introduction

10:20

Presentation 1: eAssessment Design Showcase

11:20

Break

11:30

Presentation 1: eAssessment Design Showcase (Continued)

12:30

Lunch

13:15

Parallel Session A