Hi Neil

We run bb on 6 application servers (logical domains) on T5220 machines (T2 processor running at 1.2Ghz). I spent almost 3 months (recently) with Blackboard looking at general perormance, this resulted in making many changes to the app servers, and database, with little improvement at the front end. We determined locally that the root cause was the T2 processor, which (depsite being recommended byBlackboard) is outdated, and runs at a speed which transaltes into poor web server response times. Blackboard inform us they will revise their (outdated) recommended hardware guide for Solaris in light of our findings.

Overall, allocating more resource (vCPU/RAM) to your servers will most likely not result in any signifcant performance improvement at the GUI end.

Note: we intend migrating this summer to machines hosting the sparc T4 processors (Toronoto run a massive Bb installation on this, excellent response times when comparing via google analytics), or move to x86 which implies changing from Solaris to the Linux operating system (many UK clients run on this platform, and response times are excellent when comparing via google analytics).

Hope this helps.

Naveed