Thank you everybody for your answers.

Subject: RE: Categorical data in PCA and MDS
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:16:13 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

Ignore that advice and the agreement on allstat.  It’s a mad idea and indicates they were not listening/reading.

Codes in a nominal variable are quite arbitrary – why not 1-European 2=Asian 33=American?  You should NEVER do arithmetic on such a variable.  What you do to include nominal values in a model is to split each value off as a binary (or dummy) variable, usually coding positive as 1: American 0/1; European 0/1 etc.  Note you can leave one category out, as 0-0-0 means not American or European or ...

If your data is mainly categorical, check if PCA is appropriate.

Allan