Dear Allstat Community,

Thank you to those who responded to my first email to ask for help.  I realize that my blog post is a little long to describe my problem, and I could have included a few key details in my earlier email to make my questions more clear.  I apologize for any confusion, and I am writing again to clarify the context of my problem.  I thank you for your patience in advance.

- The goal is to estimate the decay rate and half-life in an exponential decay model, which is

C(Year) = C0*exp(-lambda*Year)

where C(Year) is the DDT concentration for a given year and C0 is the concentration of DDT in the first year.

- Data were collected on DDT concentration over several years.  Please see my blog post (http://wp.me/p3bFTa-4R) for the data set.

- The above model of exponential decay is clearly not linear between C(Year) and Year, so it was log-transformed into

ln[C(Year)] = ln[C0] - lambda*Year

- The log-transformed data shows linearity, but the residuals-vs-fitted and residuals-vs-year plots show moderately decreasing variance

Here are my difficulties again; I would most appreciate any ideas on how to overcome these problems.

1) After the logarithmic transformation to linearize the exponential decay relationship, I'm still getting decreasing variance.  I can't find a suitable transformation on top of this logarithmic transformation to make the variance constant.  Square root or another logarithmic transformation is obviously undefined for negative values, and any exponentiation would just reverse the logarithmic linearization.

2) I estimated the half-life (see end of my blog post: http://wp.me/p3bFTa-4R), but I'm struggling to calculate a confidence interval for it, since the calculation of its variance involves the reciprocal of the estimated decay rate (lambda).

Var[ln(0.5)/lambda] = Var[Half-life]

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Eric

________________________