From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bart Ballieux
Sent: 11 March 2013 16:25
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Thyroxine over-replacement

You might think of the selenium status.

Selenium is a cofactor for deiodinases and if selenium intake is low, selenium is preferentially stored in the thyroid, brain and gonades. Therefore T4 -> T3 conversion in the hypothalamus might be intact, adequately supporting feedback to TSH production, while in other tissues T3 supply might be suboptimal requiering suprafysiological T4 replacement.

Beste regards,

Bart Ballieux