Dear zooarchers,
I am very sad to hear of Tony's passing. As a student at Cambridge in the early 1970's I not only learnt from him about zooarchaeology, but also enjoyed his light-hearted (and somewhat sardonic) view of the world and some of the senior members of the archaeological establishment.

I am sure that people who are closer to him will provide examples of his many personal qualities. I particularly appreciated a conversation I had with him when I returned to the U.K. after completing my PhD in Canada. It was a struggle to find a position in archaeology in the late 1970's, and not all of the Palaeolithic/palaeoeconomy Cambridge crowd had nice things to say about the jobs that I took in Medieval rescue archaeology in order to support a family. Tony took an interest in what I was doing and encouraged me to stay focused on the research opportunities that any archaeological project offered. That was an act of kindness and encouragement that I have never forgotten.

Jon

Jonathan C. Driver, PhD, RPA
Vice-President, Academic and Provost
Professor of Archaeology
Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Drive
Burnaby, British Columbia, V5A 1S6, Canada
Telephone: 778 782 3925
Fax: 778 782 5876
www.sfu.ca