I will surely miss Tony. I did not know him for many years but I was lucky enough to meet him on various occasions and exchanged many e-mails with him. As a young zooarchaeologist I was always inspired and renewed my passion on zooarchaeology after every discussion with him. He helped me with ideas and bibliographical references at the early stages of my phd, he contributed a chapter in an edited book we published in Sheffield and lately he was helping me get access to Cypriot Neolithic material for my post-doctoral project. Tony told me some interesting stories from his work in Cyprus in the 70s and he lamented the current division of the island.

We will miss you Tony...

Angelos

Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 17:09:04 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] Tony Legge
To: [log in to unmask]
That is terrible news. As Umberto says, Tony made a huge contribution to zooarchaeology as a whole, both by his own research and by promoting and provoking lively discussions. He thoroughly understood animals and people who work with them, and brought that knowledge to bear in his zooarch research. He was also a somewhat larger-than-life character, often loudly opinionated but, at least in my experience, always prepared to listen and to consider other points of view just so long as you had your facts straight! Conversations with Tony were wide-ranging, educational and always fun. He was a one-off, and I will miss him.

Terry

Terry O'Connor
Professor of Archaeological Science
Department of Archaeology, University of York
Biology S Block, Heslington,
York YO10 5DD
+44-1904-328619
http://www.york.ac.uk/archaeology/staff/academic-staff/terry-oconnor/