I have been following this discussion with interest. I have been using a branched version of Web-PA for two years with 70-80 3rd and 4th (final) year software engineering / information technology students. (Prior to that for 2 years I was using a manual system that very closely approximates Web-PA.) I do not know the percentage of international students (not something that as a lecturer I am given access to) but going on English language ability, I believe it would be 25-30%.

We ask students to both self- and peer-assess. My impression (as I have not attempted any analysis of the data) is that the international students, especially those from China and Singapore do not / are unable / are unwilling to critically assess both themselves and their peers. This is especially evident in the open text performance feedback we collect. Their numeric (5 point likert scale) and text feedback is very uniform across the team of 5-6 students. I have not noticed that they are harder on themselves than others in the team. If I get a team (they self-select) where there is 50% non-English speaking background and especially mainland Chinese, then my impression is that they tend to assess each other more highly than may be warranted (judged by other means of assessment and their other background team mates).

If this is categorised as "reluctance" then yes I have encountered it. I suspect in my case it is because they do not understand (language difficulties and cultural differences) how the peer assessed ratings are used to calculate individual marks from team marks. I have attempted to sit down with them and explain how it is used, but the students don't show up.

Cheers
Lynette