Make sure that you delete any existing SPM.mat file in the directory.
Sometimes SPM can get confused if one model requires Vi and another
model doesn't. I've come across this a few times before and it has to
do with the variance settings and SPM not being able to find the
required elements.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School