Dear Christoph,

I've sent to you a statement of interest in Applied Cognitive Science & Design Research Opportunities at ETH Zurich. I still would like to know if I could fit in to the research group with my level of qualification, or I shouldn't bother.

And as I am still interested in available opportunities, here is a copy of statement and CV.

I am a currently a second year postgraduate of Candidate of Architectural Sciences program at Department of Town Planning, SSUACE (SGASU, СГАСУ), Samara State University of Architecture and Civil Engineering, Russia http://www.samgasu.ru/eng/UNIVERSITY/General.aspx .
My thesis has a working title “Analytical and forecasting methods in urban planning”, and is based on and covers a range of theories, among which the theory and methods of Space Syntax appears to take a founding role. One of the aims, that I follow in my research, is to find a connecting points of theories from different scientific fields, to the theoretical architectural thought and urban planning.

I graduated with a BArch from SSUACE in 2009, and with a MArch in 2011. While I was working on my masters thesis I started from gathering information about utopian urban concepts, and since the tag “urban morphology” has led me to the theory of Space Syntax, that showed certain contradictions of claimed utopian ideas to its essence, I still think that for curriculum at architectural faculty a part of a lecture course on history of architecture that is covering utopian ideas is a nice moment to add a the notion of theory of space syntax, with giving an additional point of view at utopian urban ideas.

Publications and participation in conferences that I made since 2010, all at SSUACE, were dedicated to the theory of space syntax and are in essence a reviews of the core and related to space syntax materials from the space syntax online sources.

The description of the research that is going to be started at ETH Zurich looks very interesting, covering a range of techniques and new to me theoretical areas. I would like to participate in every kind of research, that will be conducted by the new research group, and think that in designing of virtual buildings, CAD modeling and spatial analysis of buildings (Depthmap) I could be helpful. I am highly interested in participating in the new research group, if there is any ability in it.

SOKOLOVA Natalia Sergeevna
Postgraduate of the faculty «Town planning»
Samara State University of Architecture and Civil Engeneering
443001, Molodogvardeyskaya str., Samara, Russia.
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

СОКОЛОВА Наталья Сергеевна
Аспирант кафедры «Градостроительство»
Самарский государственный архитектурно-строительный университет
443001, Россия, г. Самара, ул. Молодогвардейская, 194
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Curriculum Vitae Natalia Sokolova

PERSONAL INFORMATION
Natalia Sokolova
Address: 31, Stepana Razina RU-443099 Samara (Russia)
Telephone: +7 9277075549
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://space-syntax-russia.org/
Instant messaging: MSN falcon tt