21/2/13

fyi

Elisabeth
-------

Censuses and surveys: issues in religious self-identification
Panel at the 12th EASR conference at Liverpool Hope
Organised by Dr Abby Day, Chair of SOCREL (Sociology of Religion
study group, British Sociological
Association) and Dr Bettina Schmidt, Honorary Secretary of the BASR
(British Association for Study of Religions)

Self-identification on instruments such as surveys and censuses
presents unique challenges and opportunities. The 2011 census for the
UK revealed some interesting developments concerning the religious
self-identification within the UK, particularly with the continuing
increase of people who declare to have no religion. How does the
utility of a census compare with, for example, larger surveys, from
British Social Attitudes to the World Values Survey and how
accurately can such data from any of those instruments represent
changing religious landscapes?  How does a faith in surveys and
censuses manifest itself by discipline, and what impact does this
have on our understanding of research methodology and outcomes? We
invite to this panel papers discussing this and other issues
concerning national census and survey design and data from the UK or
any other country.

Please send abstracts (app. 150 words) to Dr Abby Day
[log in to unmask] and Dr Bettina Schmidt [log in to unmask] by 1
May 2013.