-----Original Message-----
From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development
Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of HUGHES P
Sent: 28 February 2013 13:32
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: UK PG certs: compulsory or not?

To quote Chapter B3 of the Quality Code (p15):

"The UKPSF provides a UK-wide benchmark by which higher education
providers can demonstrate how they support staff and assure themselves
that they are qualified to teach and support learning."  To me, this
shows that for the QAA at least, UKPSF recognition means "qualified to
teach" in HE.

As far as I can see the Code makes no specific mention of PGCHEs,
instead:
"Members of staff new to their teaching or supporting student learning
are encouraged to engage in appropriate induction and mentoring
opportunities made available by the higher education provider." (Chapter
B3, p14).

However, we may yet find that league table compilers make use of the
PGCHE data when it becomes publically available through the HESA return,
which would reassert  the importance of a teaching qualification
alongside professional recognition.

Peter