Hi all

I've been wondering about this having seen it from the Research Councils side of the fence, and as someone in a similar position to Ben. This has also arisen for me recently when I had some work done by a sole trader who is small enough not to have to be VAT registered: I suddenly found I was getting 17% more bang for my buck...

On reflection, my feeling is that the "fairest" solution is to quote a fees: "VAT registered companies will be paid up to £1200 for this work inclusive of VAT; others will be paid £1000". But that may not give the best value for money solution...

Dom

From: psci-com: on public engagement with science [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Melanie Knetsch (ESRC, PCD)
Sent: 12 February 2013 20:26
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] Question for Evaluators

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you Ben - I have been away for a few days. Can I just pick you up on a few points below as VAT has been something I have given quite a lot of thought to when writing tenders.

We are very aware of the difference between research grants and contracts and they are very different in many ways beyond VAT.  I am not going to pretend that I know enough about VAT claims, but I am pretty sure that if we could claim back for the 'service' of the evaluation contract we would be doing so.  However I will check with our finance people to get their views - I suspect we cannot.  This aside, I am more interested in your earlier comment about 'fairness' in the tender.

The amount I highlighted below at £6k isn't really a significant amount for VAT.  If we were to look at an evaliution piece at eg £80k or £100k, then VAT becomes significant if not accounted for at the start.  If we plan for an evaluation to cost the maximum of our budget for the work, and then VAT is charged on top of this - this means the money may not be there (eg a potentially additional £20k for the £100k budget).

How do I get around this? My answer has been to say the maximum amount anyone can apply for is £100k VAT inclusive and be up front at the start about the maximum amount.  However, if you are saying this isn't 'fair' how do you think this issue should be resolved?  Should we offer two tiers?  £80k withouth VAT maximum and £100k with VAT - similar to how FEC (fulll economic costing) is stated in grant calls?  I am happy to have value for money and not spend all allocated, I just like to build this into my planning hence my suggestion of a two tiered costings in the tender.  No one that I work with would think underspending in an area is inefficient. However, it is being caught out the other way - of not adding in VAT costs to the top end of my budget- that causes many more challenges.

So I welcome your, and any others on the list, views of how to make this 'fairer'.  Or is "upto £X amount inclusive of VAT" the best way to go?

Many thanks

Melanie