	Crossing the low dune to the beach, the dog

	turned west. That seemed deliberate. I gave

	her some slack; and was pulled, following, to see

	many gulls in gaggle at the head, a spit,

	and the gulls were spitting! so, possibilities

	of beached fish. As we neared, they all skittered

	and rose; the dog leapt into a big rush --

	a fair-sized southern whiting pecked half clean

	on gull-foot-trampled sand, and she galloping off --

	And seemed reluctant to return. At last

	came back to see what I was pointing to.

	She sniffed but was unsure. Too much spattering

	of grit? It never bothered her before --

	I bent down, inhaling; and lifted it;

	half fish, its bottom side still unblemished,

	smelling fresh to me; tossed it into waves,

	the dog after it, jumping in, sniffing;

	and, after some minutes, she thrust her head

	underwater, and pulled it out, dropped it

	at the sea edge and danced away and back and

	around but never touched the corpse again.

	Richard Kessling / Lawrence Upton