I am delighted to announce a new book/e-book from Moria and the wonderful
Bill Allegrezza. *(em)bodied bliss. *You may order a copy or download the
e-book here: http://www.moriapoetry.com/ebooks.html

Engagements with the United States’ torture and abuse of prisoners, *(em)bodied
bliss* juxtaposes that violence with parallel engagements with place and
the sacred figured as delight/love, acutely dichotomous experiences of
body. Against the desire to forget, to obliterate complicity and brutality,
the poems of place and engagements with the sacred tender a path out of
horror into empathy and obligation. In a destabilized intersection of
voices, dialogues occur over and against each other, at times wholly
ignorant of each other, at others desperately seeking flight. The poems
articulate a territory whose boundaries become permeable, unfixed, go
missing: horror/beauty, fear/delight, punishment/eros. Who speaks and to
what purpose?  What are the implications of speech?  Of action?  Of the
neglect of either?  Against the quotidian pleasures of being – of place,
culture, connectedness – is juxtaposed the fact of torture. The poems
interrogate complicity: the silence, ignorance, and fear into which we have
fallen, affording the translation of the untenable – torture – into the
more palatable euphemisms of “stress positions” and “water boarding”. What
we see and what we fail to see: delight lifting into wonder, terror
embracing infamy.

I hope you'll take a gander at the free e-book. I would love to hear your
thoughts.

If you would like a review copy, let me know back-channel:

warmly,
Marthe

--
Marthe Reed
Director of Creative Writing

http://www.ucs.louisiana.edu/~mxr5675/home.html

http://www.blackradishbooks.org/Reed.html
*
Poetry is made in a bed like love*
*Its rumpled sheets are the dawn of things*
*Poetry is made in the woods*

--Andre Breton, "On the road to San Romano"