Couldn't they share bits of him around??

-----Original Message-----
From: Poetryetc: poetry and poetics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of David Bircumshaw
Sent: 05 February 2013 16:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: BOOKMAKER'S ODDS:

Shudder. I think I'd rather sell The Big Issue :)

York Minster has today been in the news, as it is, quite rightly I think,
pressing its own claim to be Ricardus Rex's final home, he did after all
subscribe to its building works; while Leicester, as well as having a
mediocre Victorian restoration of a town church posing as a cathedral, was
also A LANCASTRIAN TOWN, in which no good Yorkist would want to be seen
dead. Leicester also has a long tradition of neglect and despight of its
past and its monuments (the little church of Mary of the Annunciation, razed
at the reformation, was full of Royal tombs). Unlike, on the whole, York.
Literary side-note - the architect responsible for St Martin's (aka
Leicester Cathedral) drab outward restoration was a unhappy fellow called
Raphael Brandon *- who had* *taken to drink* - a terrible Victorian fate.
in 1870 he took on an also down on his luck assistant, one Thomas Hardy.
The decrepit chambers of 'Mr Knight, Barrister-at-Law' in 'A Pair of Blue
Eyes' are supposed to be based on Brandon's London offices. The cathedral
restoration was complete in 1867, so we can't blame Hardy, himself an
indifferent architect, for it.

--
David Joseph Bircumshaw
**