I think the point is that you need to be registered as signing in from a UK IP address.

The BBC say that the reason they can only allow the iplayer to work in the UK is copyright. Apparently there are rights problems, and they only have UK broadcasting rights. The design problem isn't in the player, but in copyright, a dreadful system no longer fit for purpose.

Ranulph