Indeed - I felt that Open Attribute on opera was well worth something cold and fizzy for your good self on a regular basis.

I do like that this offers the chance of a regular income for people that are doing stuff that wouldn't ever offer them full time support. Musicians especially would be all over this, maybe more journalistic bloggers too. (eg. I'd fund someone like @amcgettigan or @universityboy )

I only signed up to have a look - I don't think I'm really in a position to ask anyone for money. And agree entirely re: donations.

"Pat @ Pgogy" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I think the difference in this case is that you pay regularly. So for example last night I met one of the original BuddyPress developers, so I bought him a drink to say thank you, but if I could pay 2-3 quid a week to him for his work I'd prefer to do that than one offs.

So this is more a continual tip jar, than a one off payment.

Without stirring, contrast this with the kickstarter approach for say ds106 - with gittip you start and then ask for people to help you keep going, as opposed to asking for money up front. I might think about doing it for my MOOC, I want it to be free, but I could see a case that we could chip in cash for other projects we like.

I am thinking about signing up, but I am never sure if it looks like I am demanding money from people (I dislike donate buttons, as donate feels the wrong word).

I thought it would be interesting to see if someone could live off it - maybe an academic could?

Pgogy Webstuff - http://www.pgogywebstuff.com
Maker of web things of a fair to middling quality