I agree core temperature is important and the only way to achieve that is a warm room temperature. Bit of an issue when the other employees in the shared office want the air con on though. I’m not sure keyboard shortcuts will really make a difference to a sufferer with Raynauds. Using the keyboard pretty much has the same effect as using the mouse all day. It may be that nothing is significantly going to improve her symptoms but would it increase her comfort levels/perception? Maybe.

I do agree though that there needs to be evidence to support the use of these tools as with everything else. I would also like to hear from someone with experience in ergonomics or anyone who has experience with Raynauds.

Paula

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: 12 February 2013 21:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Heated mouse

I can understand a person with Raynauds may request one – but I am not convinced that offering one is the best way forward. I wonder if it is a bit of a gimick, but happy to be proven wrong. There are a number of physios and ergonomists on the list who may wish to comment.

Back in the 1980’s companies sold all sorts of devices to protect DSE users from a “radiation” risk from DSEs. I recall seeing an advert for a lead lined apron marketted as protecting pregnant women. It was surprising how many people asked for one!

Perhaps a better strategy is to ensure that the office is warm. Also spending hours on a computer is poor ergonomics and extensive use of data inputting devices can cause their own problems. Keyboard short cuts would assist in order to reduce the use of a mouse.

Anne