I refer to Professor Basky Thilaganathan as the master Jedi - because he has a very very special way about him. I remember asking him about doing examining a heavily pregnant woman in left lateral and he recounted the time he did a vonteuse with the woman in left lateral. Like I said, he is a very special OB. [log in to unmask]

Kind regards,
Shahrzad

S.S. Shahmehri

From: "Jans, Suze" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, 4 February 2013, 14:38
Subject: looking for an obstetrician

Dear forum members,

We are about to complete a project on integrated midwifery care in which we explore the possibility of Dutch midwives expanding their role. As some of you may be aware, Dutch midwives mainly look after women with normal labours. When complications arise (and this includes the need for an epidural), we hand over our care to the obstetricians and sometimes the hospital midwife. Not good for continuity of care.
At present we are discussing changes to the system: looking at ways in which we can improve (continuity of ) care for women in labour. One of the barriers seems to be that some professionals (doctors) think that midwives won’t see enough complicated labours in order to be sufficiently skilful > ie we don’t read enough CTG’s.
Curious as our colleagues in other countries seem to manage pretty well, even with (much) smaller caseloads.

We are organising an invitational conference on this subject. For this we are looking for an English obstetrician who would be willing to discuss the role of English midwives with Dutch obstetricians. Of course we could ask a midwife to this, but we feel a peer might be more appropriate. I was wondering if any of you could give us a good suggestion as to whom we could ask ?

Thanks very much!

Best wishes also on behalf of Ank de Jonge ,

Suze

Suze Jans RM, MSc. PhD
Researcher, Midwifery Science | Academie verloskunde Amsterdam & Groningen/EMGO+ Instituut | VU Medisch Centrum | Kamer BS7 D-445|van der Boechorststraat 7|1081BT Amsterdam
+ Postadres: postbus 7057|1007 MB Amsterdam
' 020-444 4664