Dear all,

Our next seminar of this academic session will be on Wednesday 27th February. Our speaker will be Fern Elsdon-Baker (Senior Research Fellow, Centre for Social Relations, Coventry University). Details of the seminar are below.

All welcome. If you'd like to join the email list then please contact Simon.

We look forward to seeing you there.

Professor Martin Bauer, Dr Simon J Lock, Dr Jane Gregory

Date, Time and Location:
Wednesday 27th February 2013
16.15-18:00

Venue: STC.314, St Clement's LSE
http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/mapsAndDirections/findingYourWayAroundLSE.htm

Speaker: Fern Elsdon-Baker (Coventry University)

Title: Science, Atheism and Faith: How can understanding clash narratives inform approaches to practice in intercultural dialogue around Science and belief?

Abstract
In an increasingly globalised world, we can no longer think of science communication as a local, regional or national enterprise. Today an article in the UK can be disseminated to global audiences and filtered through various channels to reach ‘publics’ across the globe within hours not days. However, without taking into account the cultural context of these audiences from the outset, it is easy for ‘scientific controversies’ to be amplified within a wider geopolitical context, especially when it comes to the relationship between ‘science’ and ‘belief’. By exploring Drawing on experience of directing international projects communicating evolutionary science, Dr Elsdon-Baker will ask: are the controversies surrounding ‘science’ and ‘belief’ as controversial as we might assume, does the data support the clash narratives and assumptions we might impose on the way we communicate evolutionary science, and should we be thinking globally when we communicate locally?

About the Seminar Series
The London PUS seminar is an interdisciplinary intercollegiate seminar concerned with the broad range of topics that fall under the headings of public understanding of science, public engagement with science, science communication, and science-in-society.  It has been run jointly between LSE and UCL since 1993 and is open to all. Our participants predominantly come from a wide range of academic disciplines, and the science policy and science communication/public engagement communities. It is currently supported by the Public Understanding of Science journal published by SAGE and the Department of Science and Technology Studies, UCL.

Dr Simon J Lock
Lecturer

Department of Science and Technology Studies
UCL
Gower Street
London
WC1E 6BT

020 7679 3763  (internal: x33763)
www.ucl.ac.uk/sts/staff/lock
twitter: @simonjlock

Have you heard about our two new MSc degrees? http://www.ucl.ac.uk/sts/prospective/msc/uclmastersdegrees

UCL Social Media Project blog: http://blogs.ucl.ac.uk/uclsmp/

STS Goes Global! Study Abroad Year in Global Citizenship at UCL:
www.ucl.ac.uk/sts/global-citizen<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/sts/global-citizen>