Dear Colleagues,

This may not be the place to start (another) debate on Open Access (OA), but I’m not sure I understand this criticism. First, not all OA requires extra funding. Second, where it does (the ‘gold’ model), it is usually tied to research grants. These may be ‘unequally distributed’ (one hopes on grounds of intellectual ability), but it seems reasonable that if a funding agency thinks research is worth supporting, then they should also support the cost of disseminating the products of that research. In practice, OA costs rarely count for more than one or two percent of research spend. If this means that grant-funded researchers enjoy some sort of advantage over those without funding (over and above having their research paid for) then it would be better to think about ways of levelling up, rather than levelling down and insisting that all research outputs should be restricted behind subscription paywalls (and in recent debate I have heard a lot about inequality of access to funding for OA, and rather less about inequality of access to expensive subscription-only journals).

As for the implication that OA is at odds with peer-review, again I would disagree strongly. As far as I know, most publishers go to great lengths to separate the editorial assessment and peer-review from the OA payment process.

Best wishes

Simon

(and a declaration of interests: I am both an employee of the Wellcome Trust, which operates a strong OA mandate, and a Trustee of a learned society, which depends on journal income to fund many of its other charitable activities).

Dr Simon Chaplin
Head of the Wellcome Library,
183 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE

T: +44 (0) 207 611 7244
M: +44 (0) 7776 132892
E: [log in to unmask]
http://library.wellcome.ac.uk

The Wellcome Trust is a charity registered in England, no. 210183. Its sole trustee is The Wellcome Trust Limited, a company registered
in England, no. 2711000, whose registered office is at 215 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, UK.

http://www.wellcome.ac.uk