medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Dear Gaie,

Thanks for your interesting (albeit, as you say, grisly!) query to the list.

There may possibily be information of use in studies of the death and relics of Thomas Aquinas. I have read that at some point after his death in 1274 at the Cistercian abbey of Fossanova, the monks boiled Thomas's remains; apparently their aim was to have the bones alone. I remember hearing that this was so the monks could hide these relics more easily, rather than keep Thomas's big body around. It may well be that odour had something to do with it, of course. The boiling was done either immediately after death (which I doubt), or at a time in the early 1300s, when moves were made to get a canonization process going.

Perhaps someone familiar with Thomas's relics could chip in?

Best wishes, George

--
George FERZOCO