Dear Rabia,

You may have already looked at and discarded this reference in an *early* sermon. (lost Greek original c. 4th / 5th C; Latin ms FROM 9TH C - see edition cited below)

EUSEBIUS: SERMO DE CONFUSIONE DIABOLI (pt 2)

translated by Sylvia Barnard

115 recto

And all the Jews gathered together; Judas came to them and said to them: "Get up and follow me and I shall hand him over to you." Getting up they followed him with swords and clubs. And he gave them a sign saying "The one I kiss is he; sieze him." And when he had gone into the place where Jesus was with his disciples Judas went up and kissed him, saying "Greetings, Rabbi." And the Lord said "Friend what have you come to ?" A bitter kiss full of sin and perdition, a bitter kiss and the damnation of the soul, a foretaste of Gehenna. The prostitute kissing the feet of the Lord reclaimed her soul from foulness;

115 verso

Judas kissing him lost his soul. She with her kiss was freed from the weight of her sin. Oh the wisdom of the woman; oh the foolishness of the disciple. She kissed the feet of the Lord and angels rejoiced and prepared a crown for her. Judas kissed him and demons rejoiced and he was caught up in snares of rope. She rejoices and he grieves. "Greetings Rabbi." and he kissed him and they came and held him who holds all the earth in his palm.

(Source and (Latin) text from: Edwar K. Rand "Eusebius of Alexandria: Sermo de Confusione diaboli" Modern Philology  2  (1904) 261-278.)

Is it significant that the preacher says that the prostitute kissed Jesus' feet but does not specify where Judas kissed him ?

(BTW I always understood that Judas kissed Jesus' hand, being the correct greeting of a pupil to a master.)

The rest of the sermon contains a wonderfully vivid account of the Harrowing Of Hell (with a bewildered Penitant Thief wondering how the Hell he got to Heaven!!) Splendid reading for Lent!

Brenda,

Brenda M Cook,
Independent Scholar

"I care not if you bridge the sea,
Or ride secure the cruel sky,
Or build consummate palaces,
Of metal or of masonry;

But have you wine and music still,
And statues, and a bright-eyed love,
And foolish thoughts of good and ill,
And prayers to them who sit above ?"

James Elroy Flecker: "To a poet a thousand years hence." (1915)