From: ANDREW MILLIGAN <[log in to unmask]>

> I think Jon had a slip of his typing finger - which I did not notice till cc
pointed it up.  I think he meant to say Henry IV executed Archbishop Scrope

ahhh, excommunicated, executed... not much difference to the True Believer, i
suppose.

> Re bishop of London as dean of the province, I think it's explained in Irene
Churchill...or ...in EF Jacob's edition....Gerald Bray may have something to
say.... I'm afraid I don't know how old the custom was - I just know it was
well established by my period (early 15th century -

all very fine Scholarship, i'm sure, and i'll be sure to look them up when i
have a moment in the next incarnation, but what's the Bottom Line?

what were the duties of this "dean" --o.k., in c. 15?