Dear medieval-religion colleagues,

In the flurry / flood of media queries regarding the historical background of Benedict XVI's early retirement, there is a very good question that I can not answer. The question is: in practical or real terms, how would people throughout Europe actually have come to learn of the resignation of pope Gregory XII (and his competitor-popes) effected at the Council of Constance? I think I have the theory ok: multiple copies of the document announcing the resignation(s) would have been written and then delivered to the seats of all the bishops (even though, ironically, most of the bishops themselves would have been at the council). In turn, the preachers of the diocese would have been informed, and they will have spread the news via the next time they delivered a sermon.

If that theory is not too inaccurate, then:
What mechanisms would there have been for the creation of the documents?
What was the organization of transmitting these documents from Constance to the various diocesan seats?
How long would it have taken for these documents to be delivered?
Would it have mattered, in practical terms, whether one place got the news much before another place?
How in fact would this news have been transmitted to ordinary people?

Or do I in fact have my theory completely wrong?

Thanks for teaching me what you may know about this general area of knowledge. Hopefully, any answers will help not only me, but other who like me know nothing about it, and are interested in the transmission of news (particularly of a religious nature, but not solely that sort) in the later Middle Ages.

Best wishes, George

--
George FERZOCO