30 % off for all MEDIEVAL-RELIGION subscribers!*
when you quote CS0213OBGD<http://bit.ly/TytbJv> when you order

On Becoming God<http://bit.ly/TytbJv>
Late Medieval Mysticism and the Modern Western Self
Ben Morgan

"It stands on its own as a new and essential contribution both to the interpretation of the significance of medieval mysticism and to the question of identity-formation."¯Niklaus Largier, University of California, Berkeley

Do we have to conceive of ourselves as isolated individuals, inevitably distanced from other people and from whatever we might mean when we use the word "God"? On Becoming God offers an innovative approach to the history of the modern Western self by looking at human identity as something people do together rather than on their own, as a way of managing and keeping at bay the impulses and experiences associated with the word "God." The "self" is a way of doing things, or of not doing things, with "God". The book draws on phenomenology (Heidegger), gender studies (Beauvoir, Butler), and contemporary neuroscience. It surveys existing approaches to modern selfhood (Foucault, Charles Taylor) and proposes an alternative account by investigating late medieval mysticism, in particular texts written in Germany by Meister Eckhart and others.

Fordham University Press
December 2012 320pp 9780823239924 HB £37 now only £25.90 when you quote CS0213OBGD<http://bit.ly/TytbJv> when you order

Postage and Packing £3.50
(PLEASE QUOTE REF NUMBER: CS0213OBGD<http://bit.ly/TytbJv> for discount)
To order a copy please contact Marston on +44(0)1235 465500 or email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
or visit our website:
http://bit.ly/TytbJv
where you can also receive your discount
 *Offer excludes the USA, South America and Australasia.

 Follow us on Twitter @CAP_Ltd<http://twitter.com/#!/CAP_Ltd> or Facebook Combined Academic-Publishers<http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sfrm=1#!/CombinedAcademicPublishers>

Rachel Shand
Marketing Assistant

Combined Academic Publishers Ltd