On consecrating cemeteries and the development of "sacred space", Dominique Iogna-Prat, La Maison Dieu, is very good.  As far as liturgy and architecture are concerned, specifically in relation to the Sarum rites, both Arnold Klukas and Peter Draper have made valuable interventions.
Cheers,
Jim

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of John Briggs [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: February 26, 2013 1:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] Liturgy, Architecture and Sacred Places in Anglo-Saxon England

Just to report that I am currently reading Helen Gittos' long-awaited
new book "Liturgy,
Architecture and Sacred Places in Anglo-Saxon England" (Oxford, 2013).
She gives an up-to-date account of religious architecture in
Anglo-Saxon England, which is very good - but she is fantastic on the
liturgy! I'm not so sure about "sacred places", but she does make the
point that the concept of "consecrated ground" is anthropologically
very, very unusual. The practice of consecrating graveyards seems to
have started in the first half of the 10th century and seems to have
originated in England (although it may, of course, like so much else,
have come from Ireland.)

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]