Lest people think that I am making this stuff up about the
non-correspondence of liturgy and architecture:

"Despite the growing authority of the Use of Sarum, developed in the
12th century under the authoritative name of St Osmund as a model for
other secular cathedrals, and despite the seemingly ideal opportunity
of designing a brand new building expressly to suit its liturgy, only
general correspondences can be traced between liturgy and
architecture. It has been wisely remarked that the 'Consuetudinary and
Customary [of Sarum] are so detailed in matters of ceremonial, yet
curiously devoid of help in matters of liturgical and furnishing
arrangements' [Mount 1960, 672]"

from: Thomas Cocke, "Historical Summary", p.6 in Thomas Cocke and
Peter Kidson, Salisbury Cathedral: Perspectives on the Architectural
History (Royal Commission on Historical Monuments of England, 1993).

Needless to say, I have been looking for counter-examples for the last
twenty years.

John Briggs