Hi Liz,

The solution here at Cambridgeshire is that counter PCs do not log in to a corporate domain.  They sit on the public network and are joined to the public domain.  As such we are free to use generic (location based) logins for staff.  Netloan and Spydus are delivered over the web and staff use outlook web access for their email provision when they are on the counter.

Our solution isn't a perfect compromise because there are a few corporate resources that are not accessible outside of the corporate network.  However generally my opinion is that it solves much more networking and compliance problems than it creates.  For those few corporate systems that can't be web delivered or can't be published externally then there are a limited number of back office PCs at larger libraries and these are joined to the corporate network.

From what I remember of Oxfordshire's network I think our approach might make things easier for you.  Historically there was an issue at Oxfordshire where printers had to be on one network or the other but where you needed to give access to them from both staff and public machines.  If all the machines on the floor were effectively public machines then the complexity is radically reduced.

Tom van de Bilt.
ICT Manager.  Libraries, Archives and Information.
Cambridgeshire County Council
01223 699038

From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rooke, Liz - Social & Community Services
Sent: 11 February 2013 09:53
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Generic log ins for branch staff

We currently have generic log ins on library counter PCs, but will need to review this soon in order to comply with ICT data security requirements. Is anyone using swipe cards or other devices to control access to shared PCs? I know there was some discussion on this topic a few months ago, but I would be interested to hear if there have been any additional technical solutions to this issue.

Many thanks

Liz Rooke
Reader Services Manager, Information & Technology
Library Support Services
Holton
Oxford
OX33 1QQ

Tel: 01865 810244
Mob: 07818 261766

This email, including attachments, may contain confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender by reply and delete it immediately. Views expressed by the sender may not be those of Oxfordshire County Council. Council emails are subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000. http://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/emaildisclaimer
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you receive this email by mistake please notify the sender and delete it immediately. Opinions expressed are those of the individual and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Cambridgeshire County Council. All sent and received email from Cambridgeshire County Council is automatically scanned for the presence of computer viruses and security issues. Visit www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk