Dear Andrew and all,

This sounds like a great idea. I would like to highlight the
information and learning needs of junior doctors in low- and
middle-income countries, and to encourage you to "think global".

Many junior doctors in low- and middle-income countries (particularly
those working in rural areas) continue to lack access to the
information they need to learn, to diagnose and to provide effective
care. An increasing number do, however, have smartphones and can
connect and download apps when they are in urban areas, for use later
offline. I would encourage you to think of their needs when putting
together a collection of apps - it would be helpful if doctors could
easily see what is right for them - for example, they may need to
identify what is useful in relation to the equipment and resources
that are available to them, and in what languages the apps are
provided other than English.

To discuss these issues, please go to hifa2015.org and click on Join.
This will put you in touch with more than 6,000 health professionals,
librarians, publishers, researchers worldwide, all working to improve
the availability and use of healthcare knowledge in low- and
middle-income countries.

Best wishes,
Neil

HIFA2015 profile: Neil Pakenham-Walsh is the coordinator of the
HIFA2015 campaign and co-director of the Global Healthcare
Information Network. He is also currently chair of the Dgroups
Foundation (www.dgroups.info), a partnership of 18 international
development organisations promoting dialogue for development. He
started his career as a hospital doctor in the UK, and has clinical
experience as an isolated health worker in rural Ecuador and
Peru.  For the last 20 years he has been committed to the global
challenge of improving the availability and use of relevant, reliable
healthcare information for health workers and citizens in low- and
middle-income countries. He is particularly interested in the
potential of inclusive, interdisciplinary communication platforms to
help address global health and international development challenges.
He has worked with the World Health Organization, the Wellcome Trust,
Medicine Digest and INASP (International Network for the Availability
of Scientific Publications). He is based near Oxford, UK.
www.hifa2015.org   [log in to unmask]